Thursday, July 19, 2012

What is HDR?


What is HDR?
I’ve had many people ask me, “What is HDR?” So I thought I would show an example of one of my finished images. I used 3 exposures, a normal exposure, an exposure underexposed by 2 stops, and an exposure overexposed by 2 stops. Then by using software, I like Photomatix or Nik HDR Efex Pro 2, the images are merged into one.


The following is from Wikipedia:
High dynamic range imaging (HDRI or HDR) is a method used in image processing for photography. It allows a greater dynamic range between the lightest and darkest areas of an image than a single exposure.
In simpler terms, HDR images represent more contrast in pictures. Non-HDR cameras take pictures at one exposure level with a limited contrast range. This results in the loss of detail in bright or dark areas of a picture, depending on whether the camera had a low or high exposure setting. HDR compensates for this loss of detail by taking multiple pictures at different exposure levels and intelligently stitching them together so that we eventually arrive at a picture that is representative in both dark and bright areas.

When you combine at least 3 images, you get the whitest whites and blackest blacks.  You can do HDR and make it realistic, or go over-the-top and have fun making the image surreal.  What you will need to create a HDR image is a camera, a tripod and the software.

The camera doesn’t need to be very advanced.  It just needs to be able to shoot in manual.  I prefer to shoot, exposures of -2, 0, +2.  I like the results.  A tripod is a MUST.  Since the images are going to be layered and combined into one image, they need to match up or you will have ghosting.  As far as the software, try it before you buy it.  Nik has a 15 day free trial.  Go to www.niksoftware.com and try the HDR Pro 2.

The draw-back from using HDR is the grain.  The more exposures you use, the more grain in the final image.  But, if you are like me, I think it adds to the image.  The added grain and detail makes the image “come to life”.

So, grab your camera and your tripod and go shooting.  Then have fun experimenting in this new art-form.

Profile
Google+  Joe Myeress















I have been a photographer for 30 years.    The highlights are many, but the key ones dearest to me, are:
  • Served in The United States NAVY as a photographer for 5 years. (PH2, E-5)
  • I was 1 of 10 chosen military photographers to photograph President George H. Bush’s Inauguration.  These images would become part of the National Archives.
  • Photographed the Summit at the White House between President George Bush and President Mikhail Gorbachev of the Soviet Union.
Over the years, I worked in different areas of the photo field.  I photographed weddings, models, landscapes, concerts, sports, and tabletop.  I have won many awards, both local and National, and have been published in magazines and newspapers.


Now, as I get older, I enjoy photographing nature, landscapes and travel more.   I currently work as a Senior Photographer for a national retailer.  I photograph the items that appear in their catalogs and ads and on their websites.  www.tigerdirect.comwww.compusa.com and www.circuitcity.com.


And for anyone that would like to purchase any prints of mine, checkout FineArtAmerica, http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/joe-myeress.html

No comments:

Post a Comment